|Bankers Life and Casualty Co.
Bankers Life & Casualty Co. was small and nearly bankrupt when Chicago insurance salesman John D. MacArthur purchased it in 1935. The new owner used the company to sell insurance by mail, which proved to be a profitable business. By the 1950s, Bankers Life & Casualty was the nation's largest privately owned insurance company. By the mid-1970s, the company had nearly 5,000 Chicago-area employees. In 1978, after the death of MacArthur, his holdings in the company were transferred to the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation, a large nonprofit organization based in Chicago. In 1992, Bankers Life was acquired by Conseco Inc. of Indiana.
The Electronic Encyclopedia of Chicago © 2005 Chicago Historical Society.
The Encyclopedia of Chicago © 2004 The Newberry Library. All Rights Reserved. Portions are copyrighted by other institutions and individuals. Additional information on copyright and permissions.