|Purdue University Calumet
Purdue University Calumet began as an extension to Purdue University, which opened in West Lafayette, Indiana, in 1874 on land granted to the state from the federal government; it was named for local businessman and benefactor John Purdue. In the late 1940s, this extension campus in Hammond, Indiana—the industry-heavy corridor 3 miles east of the Illinois border and 25 miles southeast of Chicago—began offering courses to students working toward a degree from Purdue's West Lafayette campus. Purdue Calumet has since become an autonomous degree-granting university, a commuter school whose five campuses served more than 9,000 students in the 2001 academic year, over half of them on a part-time basis and nearly 40 percent over the age of 25.
The Electronic Encyclopedia of Chicago © 2005 Chicago Historical Society.
The Encyclopedia of Chicago © 2004 The Newberry Library. All Rights Reserved. Portions are copyrighted by other institutions and individuals. Additional information on copyright and permissions.