|Henrici's Menu, 1933
Phillip Henrici, member of a noted family of nineteenth-century Viennese restaurateurs, immigrated to the United States in 1864 at the age of nineteen and opened the first Henrici's four years later. Following the restaurant's destruction during the Chicago Fire, Henrici rebuilt, relocating the establishment several times before opening in the Loop on Randolph Street, between Dearborn and Clark. Henrici worked with architect August Fielder to model the restaurant's expansive interior after the grand dining halls in Henrici's native Austria. The restaurant remained in operation until September 1962 when the site was cleared to make way for the Daley Civic Center.
The Electronic Encyclopedia of Chicago © 2005 Chicago Historical Society.
The Encyclopedia of Chicago © 2004 The Newberry Library. All Rights Reserved. Portions are copyrighted by other institutions and individuals. Additional information on copyright and permissions.