|Illinois and Michigan Canal Lots, 1850
Illinois and Michigan Canal commissioners made the first plat of Chicago in 1830 on land granted to Illinois by the federal government. The canal land grant consisted of alternate square-mile sections of land in a strip along the canal roughly ten miles wide and ninety miles long. Land sales continued to repay the cost of the building the canal after it opened in 1848.
The Electronic Encyclopedia of Chicago © 2005 Chicago Historical Society.
The Encyclopedia of Chicago © 2004 The Newberry Library. All Rights Reserved. Portions are copyrighted by other institutions and individuals. Additional information on copyright and permissions.