|Plan of Chicago Promotional Campaign (West Side Highway), late 1920s
This glass lantern slide, prepared as part of a promotional campaign for the Plan of Chicago depicts how Congress Street might become what the planners called the east-west "Axis of Chicago," extending from Grant Park to the Civic Center and then to the western border of the city. It is possible to date this image with relative precision since Buckingham Fountain (1927) is visible, but the Shedd Aquarium (1929) has not yet been erected.
The Electronic Encyclopedia of Chicago © 2005 Chicago Historical Society.
The Encyclopedia of Chicago © 2004 The Newberry Library. All Rights Reserved. Portions are copyrighted by other institutions and individuals. Additional information on copyright and permissions.