Porter County, 34 miles SE of the Loop. In 1841, settlers of Fish Lake Township on Lake Michigan successfully changed the name to Porter Township, from which the town of Porter later took its name. Industry followed the construction of railroads through the area. A number of brickyards were active in the late nineteenth century. By the end of the twentieth century, some residents worked at the Bethlehem Steel plant. Porter also features natural scenery as part of the Indiana Dunes State Park and National Lakeshore.
The Electronic Encyclopedia of Chicago © 2005 Chicago Historical Society.
The Encyclopedia of Chicago © 2004 The Newberry Library. All Rights Reserved. Portions are copyrighted by other institutions and individuals. Additional information on copyright and permissions.