|Zielinski Tavern, c.1933
Polish immigrants Walter and Mary Zielinksi (second and third from right) opened Walter's Tavern in the Back of the Yards neighborhood in the late 1920s or early 1930s. Their tavern was one of the few establishments in the area that served African Americans and whites together.
The Electronic Encyclopedia of Chicago © 2005 Chicago Historical Society.
The Encyclopedia of Chicago © 2004 The Newberry Library. All Rights Reserved. Portions are copyrighted by other institutions and individuals. Additional information on copyright and permissions.