|Chicago's Freight Tunnels, circa 1930
Built from 1900 to 1909, the freight tunnel network extended under nearly every downtown street, with short spurs into building basements for delivery of coal or freight and removal of ash from furnaces. Numerous connections and sidings at railroad freight houses were used to transfer freight and coal shipments. Temporary trestles into Grant Park allowed excavation spoil to be used for park expansion. Most of the freight tunnels are still in place and, though abandoned as a transport system in 1959, many came to be used to carry utility and communication lines.
The Electronic Encyclopedia of Chicago © 2005 Chicago Historical Society.
The Encyclopedia of Chicago © 2004 The Newberry Library. All Rights Reserved. Portions are copyrighted by other institutions and individuals. Additional information on copyright and permissions.