|Regal Theater and Savoy Ballroom, 1941
By 1941, moviegoing crowds had returned to the Regal Theater at 4719 South Parkway (Martin Luther King Drive). Opened in 1928, the Lubliner and Trinz theater seated 3,000 patrons in air-conditioned splendor as they watched film or listened to one of the theater's two orchestras. The Chicago Defender described the theater's inerior as "an Oriental garden on a moonlight night." Part of a larger construction project that included the Savoy Ballroom and the South Center department store, the Regal helped make 47th Street's reputation as the Harlem of Chicago. The theater was demolished in 1973, but it legacy lives on in the New Regal Theater, the former Avalon Theater renamed in its honor.
The Electronic Encyclopedia of Chicago © 2005 Chicago Historical Society.
The Encyclopedia of Chicago © 2004 The Newberry Library. All Rights Reserved. Portions are copyrighted by other institutions and individuals. Additional information on copyright and permissions.