Encyclopedia o f Chicago
Entries : S&C Electric Co.
S&C Electric Co.

S&C Electric Co.

This manufacturer of electrical fuses and switches, first called Schweitzer & Conrad, was founded in 1911 by Nicholas J. Conrad and Edmund O. Schweitzer, who were then employees of Commonwealth Edison, Chicago's electric utility. The company served as a military contractor during World War II and grew during the 1950s. In 1961, it opened a large Chicago facility called the Conrad Laboratory. By the mid-1970s, S&C employed about 1,400 people in the Chicago area. By the early 2000s, S&C was still a leading manufacturer of electric switches, grossing more than $100 million in annual sales and employing 1,700 workers at its Chicago headquarters. At that time, the company had a handful of manufacturing, engineering, and research and development operations in the United States, Canada, Brazil, China, and Mexico.