"Old Main," Elmhurst College, 1943
Elmhurst College was founded in 1871 as a private, all-male proseminary of the German Evangelical Synod of the Northwest (a precursor of the United Church of Christ) to provide professional training for theological students and parochial-school teachers of the Church. This remained the college's mission until 1919 when the school reorganized and expanded into the
Academy and Junior College. Subsequent changes in the 1920s phased out the two-year program and initiated the bachelor of arts program. Since becoming a four-year institution the college has maintained its affiliation with the United Church of Christ while expanding enrollment to over 2,700 residential and commuter students.
Cutright, Melitta J.
An Ever-Widening Circle: The Elmhurst College Years.