|On Leong Merchants Association Building, 1928
Members of the On Leong Merchants Association played instrumental roles in the development of Chinatown, including commissioning this building that housed the association's headquarters as well as community meeting rooms, a school, and shrine. Known officially as the On Leong Merchants Association Building and informally as Chinese City Hall, the building was designed by Chicago architects Christian Michaelsen and Sigurd Rognstad, sons of Norwegian immigrants.
The Electronic Encyclopedia of Chicago © 2005 Chicago Historical Society.
The Encyclopedia of Chicago © 2004 The Newberry Library. All Rights Reserved. Portions are copyrighted by other institutions and individuals. Additional information on copyright and permissions.