|McCormick Works of International Harvester Co., c.1910
During the late nineteenth century, the McCormick Works factory at Blue Island and Western Avenues took advantage of proximity to rail and water transportation corridors that ran through the lower west side of the city. The plant is seen here shortly after the 1902 merger of McCormick Harvesting Machine Company with four other firms to form International Harvester Co., one of the world's leading manufacturers of agricultural machinery, controlling more than 80 percent of world production in grain harvesting equipment. By the 1950s, International Harvester had moved much of its production facilities outside the Chicago area and the McCormick Works were closed.
The Electronic Encyclopedia of Chicago © 2005 Chicago Historical Society.
The Encyclopedia of Chicago © 2004 The Newberry Library. All Rights Reserved. Portions are copyrighted by other institutions and individuals. Additional information on copyright and permissions.