|Town of Jefferson Annexation Petition, 1886
In 1886 residents and property owners of a square-mile section at the southeast corner of the Town of Jefferson petitioned to be annexed to the City of Chicago. The area, just northwest of Western and North Avenues, was already effectively settled as an extension of the north side of the city. The rest of Jefferson joined the city in the great annexations of 1889.
The Electronic Encyclopedia of Chicago © 2005 Chicago Historical Society.
The Encyclopedia of Chicago © 2004 The Newberry Library. All Rights Reserved. Portions are copyrighted by other institutions and individuals. Additional information on copyright and permissions.