|Life of Mary Monholland, 1894
Nuns from the Sisters of Mercy first came to Chicago at Bishop William Quarter's invitation in 1846, and they quickly became important providers of social services in the growing city. The Sisters established a school and an orphanage, and they cared for victims of cholera epidemics. The doctors who founded the city's first hospital turned over its administration to the Sisters, who successfully kept Mercy Hospital running through several perilous relocations.
The Electronic Encyclopedia of Chicago © 2005 Chicago Historical Society.
The Encyclopedia of Chicago © 2004 The Newberry Library. All Rights Reserved. Portions are copyrighted by other institutions and individuals. Additional information on copyright and permissions.