Encyclopedia ofChicago
Historical Source
Historical Source
D
Detail from Map of Chicago Showing Location of All Catholic Churches, 1926

 

 

 

Detail from Map of Chicago Showing Location of All Catholic Churches, 1926

After decades of creating geographically defined parishes, in the late nineteenth century the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Chicago began creating "national" parishes to serve immigrant communities. At the time of the Eucharistic Congress in 1926, the territorial (predominantly Irish) parish of St. Bridget's (#34) in Bridgeport had been joined by numerous ethnic parishes, all a short walk away from each other. These included Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary (#97, German), St. Mary of Perpetual Help (#141, Polish), St. Barbara's (#24, Polish), and St. George (#73, Lithuanian). Cardinal George Mundelein discouraged the proliferation of national parishes after he came to Chicago in 1916.