|O'Leary's on South Halsted Street, 1906
The commercial center of largely Irish Canaryville in the early twentieth century was Halsted Street, which boasted saloons and gambling houses such as O'Leary's. Located just east of the Union Stock Yard, many of the area's customers were affiliated with the meatpacking industry.
The Electronic Encyclopedia of Chicago © 2005 Chicago Historical Society.
The Encyclopedia of Chicago © 2004 The Newberry Library. All Rights Reserved. Portions are copyrighted by other institutions and individuals. Additional information on copyright and permissions.