|Sandburg Village, 1964
In May 1956, in an effort to convince the Chicago Land Clearance Commission to allow for the redevelopment of the Near North Side, the North-LaSalle Site Designation Redevelopment Project presented a report to the commission outlining the housing conditions that existed on the site south of North Avenue on Clark Street. The report found that 99.7% of the 2,418 living units lacked essential sanitation facilities, ventilation and lighting, and were largely overcrowded. The conclusions of the report led to the Commission's decision to allow for the private development of Sandburg Village, with rents well out of reach of former area residents.
The Electronic Encyclopedia of Chicago © 2005 Chicago Historical Society.
The Encyclopedia of Chicago © 2004 The Newberry Library. All Rights Reserved. Portions are copyrighted by other institutions and individuals. Additional information on copyright and permissions.