|Advertisement for D. S. Taylor Property, c. 1873
Real estate developers made speculative subdivisions of land around the Calumet River following the completion of federal government improvements in 1871. D. S. Taylor's subdivisions along the east side of the Calumet River in South Chicago shows the growing interest in the Calumet region by 1874. Slips and wharves along the Calumet River, as well as adjacent railroads, provided excellent transportation for industry and trade.
The Electronic Encyclopedia of Chicago © 2005 Chicago Historical Society.
The Encyclopedia of Chicago © 2004 The Newberry Library. All Rights Reserved. Portions are copyrighted by other institutions and individuals. Additional information on copyright and permissions.