|Ogden Slip (Chicago Dock and Canal), 1968
Over the course of several decades, the Chicago River was widened and dredged. Initially, private individuals and companies improved docks and wharves along the river. But with time, the abutting owners increased water frontage by digging slips alongside the river. William B. Ogden, the first mayor and early booster of Chicago, oversaw the investments of the Chicago Canal and Dock Company that included considerable property on Chicago's near north side. The company built a slip parallel to the north bank of the Chicago River, which was used as harbor and warehouse space into the twentieth century. The Pugh Terminal at 435 E. Illinois was built between 1905-20 and was renovated to retail and commercial space in 1990.
The Electronic Encyclopedia of Chicago © 2005 Chicago Historical Society.
The Encyclopedia of Chicago © 2004 The Newberry Library. All Rights Reserved. Portions are copyrighted by other institutions and individuals. Additional information on copyright and permissions.