|Rush Street Bridge and Shoreline, 1860
The first bridge across the main stem of the Chicago River at Rush Street was constructed in 1857. It was an iron and timber swing bridge with a center support. It shows the early use of iron for a western bridge. Construction costs totaled $48,000. The center support is clearly seen in this 1860 photograph looking south to the bridge. Note that there are no gates at the end of the bridge even though it was routine for the bridge to swing open with people, vehicles and animals standing on the bridge.
The Electronic Encyclopedia of Chicago © 2005 Chicago Historical Society.
The Encyclopedia of Chicago © 2004 The Newberry Library. All Rights Reserved. Portions are copyrighted by other institutions and individuals. Additional information on copyright and permissions.