|Grant Park Panorama from Roof of Auditorium Building, 1907
In 1899 the Illinois legislature created Grant Park as a public park from the submerged lands that were part of Lake Front Park, the area south of Randolph Street, north of Park Row. Since 1896 this land had been under the authority of the South Park Commissioners, an autonomous park district established to oversee the park for the city. When in 1902 the Commissioners agreed to let the Illinois National Guard construct an armory and parade grounds in the park, Ward successfully sued the city a second time to prevent the proposed construction.
The Electronic Encyclopedia of Chicago © 2005 Chicago Historical Society.
The Encyclopedia of Chicago © 2004 The Newberry Library. All Rights Reserved. Portions are copyrighted by other institutions and individuals. Additional information on copyright and permissions.